The main problem that I have had to deal with for over 30 years is the use of sulfite preservatives. I have had at least 5 instances of anaphylaxis, with three events that landed me in the emergency room. I do not have asthma, nor am I particularly abnormally allergy-prone (other than seasonal hay fever, and the few foods and medications of which I am intolerant), but sulfites in wines give me excruciating 2-3 day migraines, and the amount used on non-fresh shrimp has given me several life-threatening encounters that required 6+ hours under the care of a number of very, VERY uneasy emergency room doctors. – Geoffrey by email, USA