My daughter was allergic to all nuts and peanuts from an early age and later developed an allergy to annatto. It was easy to determine. She had been skin tested and was negative to dairy products. She would often eat a cheddar cheese but started reacting to it around the age of 9. There were only two ingredients and I knew she was not dairy sensitive.  The other ingredient was annatto (160b).  She later reacted to Goldfish, Cheeze-its and a breakfast cereal containing annatto.  Because it was a newer allergy, at first we forgot to check things she had been able to eat in the past. Each ingestion has shown a progression of symptoms.  Her mouth and throat itch, difficulty breathing and last time she felt swelling as well. We have been able to resolve the symptoms with benadryl and albuterol.

The nut allergy is much easier to manage. USFDA laws require the allergen to be listed in bold and other people know what a nut is. But now my daughter and I  must continually read all the fine print of everything - even products that were once fine have often started adding annatto. We must explain to other people what annatto is for her safety at schools, camps, sleepovers. It would be much more difficult with a young child or one with disabilities. This is an unnecessary hazard because it is appearing now in so many foods, even those labelled "organic". I would love to see all dyes, both "natural" like annatto and the synthetic dyes removed from our foods - Nicki, USA